Friday, July 10, 2009

Social Worker Meetings Day 1 and 2

This week has been absolutely crazy. I have been cleaning for days in preparation for our social worker visit yesterday. Our house is usually clean by most standards, but I felt like I needed to have everything washed from top to bottom, candles lit and closets cleaned out for some reason! Sally (our social worker) came Thursday afternoon to do a couple interview and my individual interview. These are based upon our written autobiographies and other information she has obtained on us as well as information sharing on adoption and the Korean program in general. All I could think was "I'll be so glad when this is all over"! Looking back, I have no idea what I was so nervous about. Our first couple interview was mostly about Korea and what it means to be an adoptive parent. We were able to share information back and forth and I have to say I was so impressed with Bobby! He is usually shy in these situations and a little quieter, but he did so well and spoke right up on how he felt about our adoption.
My individual interview was a lot about my childhood and my parents, school and how all of that has made me the person I am now. It's amazing how she was able to spin things in a way I didn't see before like me being able to relate to adoption because I wasn't raised by my biological father and my step father was just as much as a dad as a biological one was. She was very nice and seemed very supportive and wanting to help us in any way during this process.
Today we kept the girls home to meet Sally when she came back again this morning to do the 2nd couple interview. They did really well!
The interview with Bobby and I today was all about our relationship and our marriage. It's been such a ride when you sit down and talk about your relationship and your lives together...how you met at 18 and eleven years later here you are going stronger than ever before with a 6 year old, 4 year old (Reece's birthday is tomorrow!) and another one on the way. I feel so blessed and lucky beyond any words I can put down in the blog to be married to Bobby. It was all I could do not to sit there and cry as we had to run down why we loved each other and what made our marriage special.
Sally also talked a lot about my dad today and the loss and grieving I felt, comparing this to the loss and grieving our son/daughter will go through one day when everything starts coming together. It was hard to sit and talk about him and my feelings about the whole thing, I guess I hadn't really done that since he passed away.
So, interviews 1-3 are down and 4 & 5 we will be traveling to Raleigh to do on the 20th at Sally's office. We have our reference forms out to be sent back to Sally and we still have our adoption education to finish. Things seem to be moving right along.
It's going to be a long wait, I know, and we certainly will not have this baby in our arms overnight, but I cannot say enough how excited we are and it just seems to grow everyday more and more. I know it will not be easy and we will have bumps along the way, just as we already do with our girls, but I am completely in love with this child and do not even know if it's a boy or a girl, if they have been born yet or how old they are, where they are or what they are doing right now. I heard an adoption quote where a mom told her son he grew in her heart instead of under it. I thought it was cute at the time, but now I'm starting to really understand it and know our hearts are only going to grow bigger as time goes by. It's been a few years since we have had the excitement of anticipating a baby in this house, so we are really cherishing it!

No comments: