Monday, May 3, 2010

Relay for Life

Saturday was our annual Relay for Life cancer walk in our community. We started doing the kid's walk last year and were gearing up for this years. Unfortunately, we had more folks to walk for, but I think it's a great opportunity to share with my girls.


Here they were starting out. We do the first lap for everyone who has been affected by cancer in any way.





Then we do a lap for every two people in honor or in memory of. I put their names on paper and the girls decorate the paper as we talk about or remember them.



In memory of my dad (Papa Price) and little Jolee who you guys have read about on my blog


It was so hard to see my dad's name again. I was glad it was a sunny day and I had my sunglasses on because I was wiping my tears. Miss my dad so much.



In honor of my husband ("our daddy") and in memory of my husband's grandmother ("our Granny"). This was a tough lap for Kyleigh...who was greatly affected by granny's passing. Even though she was only 4, they were incredibly close and she still talks about her always. We all miss Granny.






In honor of my mom ("Nannie") and Sandra (my sis in law's mom)



In memory of Bobby's grandfather ("Grandpa Byers") and Mark (sis in law's dad)

If you hadn't noticed, we picked up another walker at this stage and Kyleigh's face has lit up. *J* joined us from Kyleigh's school for the last few laps.



This is just my favorite picture yet. She walked all those laps with such determination and even though it was hot and long, he held those signs up with a smile on her face :-)


2 comments:

Jenny said...

it's so great that your kids realize the importance of this already!

Amber said...

What a good idea! I am doing the Pender County Relay this weekend! I always cry my eyes out, but it feels good to help out! Hope to see you soon!