Saturday, January 22, 2011

Just a rough week, that's all

I am now able to blog about this past week. boy it was a rough one. Two words...travel call. Well, lack there of.

I know, I know...we haven't been waiting as long as some families have for their travel call. Before I even begin this post, I want to say that no matter how long we wait, I am incredibly grateful and thankful for this entire adoption process. I am in no way bitter towards anyone or anything. Just sad really.

So, when speaking to our agency back in December concerning EP's (if you remember from my earlier posts, Korea ran out of EP's-permits that our kiddos need to leave the country and come home-and everyone was *patiently* waiting for January 1st so they could start submitting them again), she told us that Holt prioritizes waiting children (Asher is from Rainbow kids) and she said we should be in that first batch. Our agency doesn't get notification of when or what families are submitted for EP, but I've been following the Holt boards to watch this information. A batch was submitted on the 4th and 11th. I was so excited! There has been 4 or 5 other friends I've made along the way and we were all in the same boat in this waiting process.

So on Tuesday, there was action all over the boards and fac*book of folks getting EP approvals and travel calls! I was so excited! This little boy I've prayed for and love so much would be coming home!! I thought for sure that we were in that group going by what our agency said, so I was literally waiting by my phone. Ready to make that call to our family and friends. Ready to feel that completion after almost 2 years of waiting. Ready to know that we were finally bringing our son home!!!!

Well, as you can guess, no call came. I finally called our agency. To sum it up, they don't really have any information to give. She was pretty sure we were not submitted, and did not give any idea of when we would be. Nothing at all hopeful to go on. At all. When I asked about the first batch situation, she clarified that was "an assumption". Would have been nice to have that clarification as soon as she said it in December since I had been holding onto that conversation this entire time. So, we were not getting a travel call that day, this week, this month, probably not even next month. It's looking more and more like March....or worst April or later.

I'm not going to lie, I cried. A lot. I'm just so emotionally exhausted from all of this. I want him home so badly it physically hurts. Tuesday and Wednesday were very bad days with lots of puffy eyes! But, my crying didn't do anything to change the situation. In reality, we are with Holt and their travel takes much longer than SWS, which is who most of my friends are with. It's not a surprise they got their travel call at all. I decided that instead of having a pity party for myself, I was going to be positive about this...as much as I can!

It sucks that we will not be there by his birthday. I mean, it just does. It sucks for every family to have to wait like this, it doesn't matter how long they have waited or what their situation is. I've said it before, adoption is not for the faint at heart and boy I've learned that lesson over and over again this week. So, I'm just going to be thankful that Asher is with an amazing foster family who is taking great care of him. Thankful he had a good January check up. Thankful in knowing that this wait Does have an end. We Will be in Korea soon. So for now I'm still trying to keep busy and February is turning out to be action packed..and the shortest month of the year thank goodness...so maybe it will fly by. We still have to get his room straighten up and now I have time to learn some Korean phases (I love you, thank you, etc.) that I really wanted to learn before we traveled.

Thanks everyone for your support this past week and kind words. It's really meant a lot to have such great friends!!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I know that feeling. We were there a year ago... waiting and waiting and waiting. The worst was when well-intentioned people came up to us and said "You're still here?" or quoted scripture at us. Every time the phone rings, you jump. Trust me. One day... one day... you'll get that call that changes your life forever. Hang in there. Oh, and we were with SWS and had to have that agonizing wait. It's not all roses on our side of the tracks either. :)

Heather said...

I'm so sorry Brandi. I'm praying for you to have peace, strength, & endurance. Let me know if you need to chat or anything! You have my email & #. Waiting does just plain stink!

Christy said...

Still praying for you, Brandi. I'm sure it's hard being on our group with many getting calls sooner. Hugs! Good luck with learning Korean - I really want to get moving on that too. Thinking of you

Leah said...

Brandi, I have SOOOO been right where you're sitting, and sitting, and sitting! Last year we missed the EP quota. It was so heartbreaken, pretty much where you're physically, mentally, and emotionally at right now! Do the best you can to get through it. I keep hearing there is a light at the end of this long tunnel. I have to believe there is, no reason not to you know? So believe this, you will be a stronger woman, making it through this "journey". Hang in there mama, we're all pulling the load together! :)

Jenny said...

I'm so so sorry. With our court stuff we figure it'll be at least March for us too... I hate this for you. I know this wait is incredibly difficult.

Annie B said...

The waiting is hard enough, it sucks that there isn't clearer, more reliable info out there. I had no idea Holt prioritized waiting children. I hope these next weeks fly by (somehow) and that you get that call sooner than you think. I wouldn't count on anything, but our experience with WACAP was that they gave worst case scenario timelines just to keep expectations low. I hope it happens sooner than you think. Hang in there.

Amy said...

I'm sorry, Brandi! I know you are tired of waiting. This whole adoption process is all about hurrying up and waiting, isn't it? I'm praying for you and hope you hear GREAT news very soon! :)