Monday, January 10, 2011

Some travel advice?

Nope, they haven't told us we can travel yet (though a girl can wish!!), but in this time of *patient* waiting for our travel call, I'm trying to go ahead and get things together because I know how crazy things will be then!

So, I'm looking for travel advice. I've never booked a flight in my life, so we definitely think it's worth the extra money to get a travel agent for this, but I'm looking for advice for the flight. What is something you suggest for a flight for us and also for Asher? Keep in mind the flight from Korea to Chicago will be 14 hours...yup. Not for the faint at heart! How the heck will I keep him occupied for 14 hours in a seat?? 5 hour energy will be my friend I suspect :-) At least Chicago to Raleigh is only 2 1/2 hrs!

If you've been to Korea, we would love to know must see places. We've gotten a couple of books and read them, but it's always great to hear about other experiences! I figure if I do a little bit each week of packing and planning, then not only will it hopefully keep me occupied, but I will be prepared when the call comes in. Last week I got all of Asher's laundry done (and crib set up and made!) and I have to admit you couldn't wipe the smile off my face folding those sweet little clothes. Ask me again in a few months when I'm up to my eyeballs in laundry for 5 people if I'm smiling while folding!!!

So, we are waiting without really knowing anything right now. Everything on US side is done and all of the final approvals and documents were sent to the Embassy in Seoul last Friday. Now they will sit waiting until the EP (Emigration Permit) is approved. This is where the mystery is. There was such a backlog from last year (all agencies ran out before the year was over because Korea has been decreasing the amount of EP's every year) and I'm sure everyone sent in EP's from all over. We are still praying Asher was submitted last week, but our agency cannot find any of that out to tell us. They said they will only know when it's approved. If it was indeed submitted last week, we could have approval by the end of the month! Travel call usually comes a week or two after that, so we would be there in February by his birthday! If it was not submitted in January, it would be submitted in February and we would be praying to travel in March. I just feel like we will be there by his birthday. I even bought him a birthday shirt to celebrate with him. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but at the same time I pray everyday and know that what is impossible with man, is certainly possible with God.

The next few weeks will be nail biting! If we don't hear anything by the first week of February, we know we should be in the next batch for EP's. Please pray with us that he has already been submitted and please please feel free to leave any travel advice with kids you have!!!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh I so hope he's already been submitted! Praying that's the case! I can tell you... It's GOOD to stay busy! Sounds like you've been having fun washing his clothes and getting his crib ready!

Christy said...

OK, I can't tell you any of the Korean side but I have traveled a lot with my kids at different ages. I hate to tell you this but a year(ish) is not the easiest age to travel with. I'm sure you had that figured out already. ;) I would suggest buying lots of little (cheap) toys both here and in Korea that you can bring in your carry on for the return trip. Every hour or so that he needs entertaining bring one out. Consider bringing some tissue paper and "wrapping" each one up (while the other parent distracts - no tape, just a quick few folds) and then let him "open" it and discover what it is (this takes more time and is often fun for kids).

If you're flying Korean or Asiana I believe that they have movies so maybe something will distract him on tv for a bit (some 1 year olds will be mesmerized, some won't care - not the time to worry about bad tv habits). ;)

Lots of books!

Think of your girls at that age and what types of things could entertain them in a doctor's office waiting room or other frustrating situations and have that handy.

Oh- and LOTS of snacks!

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about that TC!!!

Unknown said...

Hey! We traveled to Seoul for our daughter in February last year. My first thought is... It's cold! Dress warmly! Take lots of layers, but dress warmly for the legs too.

What to see? National Palace. Coex. Lotte World. One of the gates. I wish we had seen Seoul Tower and the one market everyone sees. Are you on my blog? If so, go to February 2010, and take a look-see at what we did. If not, let me know, and I'll send you an invite.

What to pack? We went with simple toys that don't make much noise, but she really didn't care much about those. She just wanted to be held and snuggled. I don't know what agency you are using, but we found that we needed to provide our own baby things (teething ring, spoons, sippy cups) and buying them there was not easy.

It's exciting that you are so close! Hang in there! Your big day is coming soon!

Annie B said...

We totally screwed up on the plane, brought like 2 toys, and it was a red eye, so she mostly wanted to sleep anyway. Just bring lots of little hands on things that move. I agree that if you fly Korean he’ll get to be entertained by movies. I bet he’ll LOVE playing with your girls. A lot of people have found it helpful to get the bulkhead so baby can have a bassinette to sleep in, but we ended up using it for storage. I wouldn’t scrimp on the airline: Korean has more room than many airlines, I think, and they go a long way to keep you comfortable during a long and anxious flight.

I hope you get your wish to have Asher home by his birthday, but I will say I had some mixed feelings about Ada coming home 3 days before she turned one. I wanted to celebrate her, but I didn’t know who she was yet, didn’t REALLY know how much she changed since birth. I felt like the foster family was better equipped to celebrate than me. And I worried I let her down by not giving her a “proper” Korean doljabi. We were too exhausted to do much beyond bake a crummy out-of-the box cake and open a few presents. I know it’s a big milestone to miss, but I wanted her home by her first birthday too, and it wasn’t all that I wanted it to be. I think birthday #2 will be a different story. And those are my thoughts on that…

Kelly said...

Our trip to China to bring our daughter home was all arranged by our agency...not so with Korea. So I think I'll be asking you for your advice for travel since we don't even have a referral yet! I can't wait to follow you there.

Kala said...

Ok here we go :)

The plane ride- if you can get a red eye I would do but we flew into Chicage and there was no red eye. Take extra toys that he has never seen as pull them out when needed.

Sight seeing- we took the sight seeing bus. And yes I am totally agaisnt taking buses because you miss all the little things. But there is so much to see that I didn't want to miss the little things. I would go to at least one palace and a market. We also went to "Toy Alley" and got some bargains on some toys. Matthew still plays with them today.

Any other questions just ask!

Leah said...

Hey Brandi, I'm with you on the travel info! I've been writing things down, printing things out, etc! I'm a pack everything kind of gal, so I'm dying to know the ins and outs of this trip! Congrats to you and I sure do hope we all hear something soon! I'll be following! :)