Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Experience

Experience. That's a word I have heard a lot on talk radio lately, especially since the elections have started heating up. I love to listen to both sides debate...Obama doesn't have enough experience and now neither does Palin. How important is it really? Let's see....can you imagine leaving your children (or dog for that matter) with someone who knew nothing about them? Would you hire someone for a very complex job with absolutely nothing on their resume but high school? Seems pretty important huh? But, I remember graduating college and being so frustrated because no one would give me a chance. I heard that word a lot then too. No one was interesting in listening to my new ideas, they just wanted to know what I had already done. I am amazed at how much people focus on the past and never think about what it would mean for the future. Yes, I hear some of you saying...past predicts future. Of course it does if that is the expectation we give it.
Experience is a great teacher and one we should not take lightly. I've been kicked in the butt by it several times, however, it's an ongoing struggle not to base your entire life on past experiences. I feel a lot of times I have missed out by "practicing my past"....selling others or my own self short because of this. Keep an open mind about experience and the kinds of new ones you want to have....and which kinds are important for our new leaders.

No comments: