Thursday, September 11, 2008

Safe sex, safer TV

Got your attention didn't I :-)
I am a firm believer in family meals. Dinnertime in my house means everyone sits down, turns the TV off and talks about what went on with their day. It's our time to come together and connect. Last night, Bobby and I connected with Kyleigh in a way we were not ready for and didn't see coming.
Reece was lining up Barbie's after finishing her meal and had Barbie and Ken on top of each other. I quietly pulled them apart, lining them all in a row for Reece. Nothing more was said or done. Then Kyleigh says "Did you pull them apart because you thought they were having sex?". From my 5 year old? I was so shocked at that point, I didn't push it. Tonight we sat down for a good old fashion girl talk.......
My normal afternoon consists of my 1 hour drive home, then cooking dinner, cleaning, baths and then bed. While I am cooking, we often let the girls watch Discovery Kids (mostly to keep them from being all over the kitchen or asking every 2 minutes when dinner is going to be ready!). For the record, I am not a big fan of the TV, I'm a radio girl myself, but at least the shows on this channel are educational. If it is not on this channel, I leave it on ABC Family, also "thinking" this was a "safe" channel to leave it on as I cook or give Reece a bath. I've always felt I was very selective in the TV I let them watch.
Evidently there is a new show on ABC Family these days called "The Secret Life of the American Teenager", where a 15 year old gets pregnant.....hence Kyleigh's new knowledge of the word sex. After a sigh of relief that my baby really didn't know what she was saying and that she had not been harmed, I am reflecting back on the education I just received. For those parents who do not want their children taught life lessons by the bright flashing box, just a reminder to stop and take a look at what is on and do not assume because it is on a family channel or geared towards kids that it is appropriate or in line with the values you what to represent in your family!

1 comment:

Life Glimpsed: The Denglers said...

HOLY COW!!! thank you for the heads up. oh my goodness. i'm proud of you for staying calm. wheew. not ready for those words to come out of my baby's mouth. ...by the way, any word on your dad yet?