Thursday, May 21, 2009

When it seems I have it all

So I have been reading a lot of blogs and articles about the "American Dream". What does the phrase "American Dream" mean to you?

These days, people's perspectives have been changing. I think our notion of bigger is better and the constant state of dissatisfaction and wanting more have finally caught up with us. I think we have all been guilty of it. You grow up next to people that have more and you think your life might be just a little bit better if you had what they did. After all, they looked so darn happy didn't they?! You go to college and get a good job and you earn your money and feel you "deserve" a treat for all of your hard work... a big nice house, a new shiny car. You want to give your family the finer things in life, which in our society equated to material things.

I am a bit ashamed now to admit this, but Bobby and I used to sit around when we were floating checks and credit cards that were over their balance with two kids to feed and dream about that future. Where we finally would have money to spare at the end of the month and be able to take vacations with our kids and have a big house and not be crammed into 1120 sq!

Bobby and I have a love like I have never known, and know I will never again because he is my soul mate and my partner in everything. I really feel like we were truly meant for each other. So, sitting down and making plans for the future and what our idea of the "American Dream" was together was fun, but what happens when the basis of this dream is completely turned upside down?

I am no longer working for the finer things in life, not in a material notion. You know, I think we are so far blessed beyond what I ever thought we would be and our idea of our future has been nothing in comparison to it's reality. Just being able to get up in the morning and care for my kids...my healthy kids, having a job to go to, having money to buy the food we want to eat, having a car that gives me no trouble, having the love of my life to come home to and friends that I would do anything in the world for and I know they would do the same.

I realize I'm living my American Dream now.......and it has nothing to do with fancy electronics or a house so big I would never be able to keep it clean anyway.

What a feeling! My life is already filled with all of my dreams come true...

No comments: