Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Quick trip to Goldsboro

Let's see how crazy we can make things in a 48 hour span shall we?

Sunday morning: church. Great service, great message....God must have known I would need to hear that particular one to prepare me for the next day ahead? Drove back home from church, ate very quickly, and then headed out to Goldsboro for the 2.5-3 hr ride there. Ride was actually pretty good. It's always hard to tell family that we are only going to be there for a very short amount of time. We did not have a lot of time to visit everyone for any extended period....we were on a mission to get this fingerprinting done! There was some irritation around that point, but what can you do. I have given up on trying to please everyone.

Actually, it was nice to have so much going on because it really kept my mind off the day. It was a year since my dad passed away. Exactly a year ago on Sunday, I was spending the night at my mother in laws...laying in that exact same spot...feeling and thinking the exact same things. That I have to admit was a little strange. I miss my dad so much, but I know he is in a better place and not feeling an ounce of pain right now.

On Monday, we left about 8am to head to USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services), which was another 1.5 hr drive. Our Garmin has been working pretty much when it wants to, so we got really lucky that morning that it decided to turn on and work for a change! Neither Bobby nor myself do well in traffic like that trying to find our way around. We only got stuck in traffic once and made pretty good time getting there. We had to go through security to get to the main waiting room. This was where the fun began.

I can count on one hand how many times I have had to do the security thing. I've flown twice in my entire life. I know, sad right? Anyway, I get nervous! I had to show the guy my additional paperwork because my license had expired and they hadn't come in the mail yet, then I emptied out everything I thought would set the security off. BEEP BEEP. Searching again...BEEP BEEP. By this time I can feel the ever increasing line of people behind me getting irritated and nervous..like I was playing dumb about what I had and was trying to blow up the place or something! Finally Bobby had to take my entire purse back out to the car to stop the holdup in line. The culprit you ask? My dad was a big smoker and I have been carrying around the lighter that was in his pocket when he went into the hospital in my purse since then. I completely forgot about this. I'm sure my dad got a great laugh out of that one!

Anyway, the actual fingerprinting took no time at all...probably moved right along in 5 minutes and were out the door. It's a bittersweet thing. So glad to have it done, but it is the last thing left to do until we get our referral. Now it really is just the waiting. At least we felt like we were accomplishing something by seeing our paperwork pile decrease or marking off our to do list.

We ate lunch and then headed back to Goldsboro and then back home. I was so tired last night and it was such a whirlwind of a trip! Hope everyone is having a good week!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Glad the fingerprinting went well!