Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Old Christmas gone....welcome new Christmas!

So, Bobby and I have been thinking a lot about Christmas this year...and decided definite changes need to be made. Normally, we would be caught up in the whirl wind of Christmas lists, last minute shopping, making sure we have an even amount of gifts for the girls and I would even sell back my personal time to try and finance it all.

What exactly are we doing? We are stressing over making sure our girls have what they want because they've "earned" it by being good all year? I am selling back personal time for $$ instead of taking that precious time with my family? We are stressing over the "perfect gift" for everyone?

This year, it just doesn't seem right. I always take such pleasure every year in seeing my kids faces when they open those gifts that they wanted. They are so excited and happy! And where is that wonderful gift in a week? In a pile with the others or taken away because of the fighting over it. What are we teaching our girls? Happiness comes from possessions...all you have to do is make a list and you get what you want...a man "magically" brings gifts every year...mommy thinks it's more important to have money then time off..and you can probably complete the list.

We have already started a couple of months ago looking into volunteer opportunities as a family. It's hard to find something all of us can do together because of the girl's ages, but we have managed to find a few and are still setting some up. I want to set the foundation for my girls to understand....REALLY understand how blessed we are. I've found it's not enough to tell them at their age, they need to SEE it.

Although we are not able to help build, we have started cooking and providing lunches to our local Habitat for Humanity two Saturdays out of the month. This was a great opportunity for the girls to help and actually meet the people that do this. They even gave them a tour of the house, which they thought was so much fun! Not sure how much Reece understood, but from conversations with Kyleigh, she got it. To stand on that porch and physically have a life lesson to show them, and continue to show them, is priceless.

We are also participating in Samaritan's purse. Each of them picked out gifts for a girl their age to put in their shoebox and send off. I posted some pictures of this and the website at the bottom of this post if you would like to help too. I wanted them to understand not only can we help people that are right here in our community, but all over the world.

And I am most excited about the chapter I just started for SAFE. SAFE stands for Stuffed Animals For Emergencies. I will be the representative for North Carolina (and parts of South Carolina since I'm so close) for this organization. We will be holding stuffed animal drives to donate to local police, fire, homeless shelters, children's homes and children's services programs. These stuffed animals will be cleaned, sanitized and given to these groups to give to children to help ease their fears during a traumatic time. I am currently working with Horry county, SC to compile my list of donation sites and will be moving onto Brunswick and New Hanover hopefully next week. Then setting up a drive hopefully the beginning of December.

This is so personal and very close to my heart. For years I have been wanting to give back and help and just not sure how. When I was 8, I was involved in a traumatic abusive situation and was given a bear, which I still have. I have never forgotten that police officer or his kindness and what that bear meant to me at that moment. To be able to give a child that comfort is unspeakable to me. I will post more information on drives I will be doing, so if you are reading this and live in my area, please let me know if you would like to donate any stuffed animals!

My bear "MD"


So basically, this Christmas will not be filled with presents overflowing from the tree (although yes we will still do presents). It will not be filled with Christmas lists or a stressed mama and daddy. It will be filled with understanding of what Christmas is really about. It will be about giving back and realizing how incredibly blessed we are!

Reece's box


Kyleigh's box


http://www.samaritan.org/

1 comment:

Amber said...

We do Operation Christmas Child too! And we have tons of stuffed animals! Just let me know when the drive will be!